Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tomato and Cheese-Stuffed Baked Potatoes

These are a bit different from your average baked potato. Sometime you have to change it up a bit! Tried these for the first time and we loved them.


  • 3 potatoes (8 to 10 oz each)
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup sliced green onions
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes*
  • freshly ground black pepper

Prick potatoes several times with a fork; place on paper towel in microwave. Microwave on high 10 to 15 minutes, turning potatoes over several times, just until potatoes are almost tender. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Heat bbq. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. With spoon, scoop out pulp from each potato, leaving 1/4 inch layer in each half. Chop potato pulp; place in large bowl. Add cheese, onions, sour cream and salt; mix lightly to combine with potato pulp. Gently stir in tomatoes. Spoon mixture into potato shells; sprinkle with pepper.

When grill is heated, place potatoes on grill over medium heat; close bbq. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese is melted.

*I was out of tomatoes, so I left them out.

**I think next time I make these I'll add some chopped, cooked bacon. Great flavor.

3 comments:

Candice said...

Wow, those sound great!

Do you wrap them in anything before putting them on the BBQ?

Sonya said...

Nope. Just pop 'em straight on.

We ended up putting them on the higher rack, while the steaks were bbqing. Worked great.

Ange said...

Sounds delicious! Can't wait to try these!