Thursday, February 11, 2010

Smothered Pork Chops


Smothered Pork Chops
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp each dried basil, parsley flakes, and rosemary, crushed
  • 2 boneless butterflied pork chops (1/2 inch thick and 8 ounces each)

Topping:

  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 2 slices pepper Jack cheese

1) In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, basil, parsley, and rosemary; add the pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.

2) Drain and discard marinade. Broil pork chops 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

3) Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Using a slotted spoon, place mushrooms on pork chops. Cover each with a cheese slice. Broil for 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

Yield: 2 servings

* I dont come across pepper Jack cheese very often so I used Gouda cheese on mine, and if I hadn't had that I would have used plain mozzerella. I think almost any kind of cheese would work!

1 comment:

Sonya said...

My hubby is a mushroom lover so I will have to make these for him. Tasty, tasty!