Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Chicken Penne Casserole

It's not very often I try a new recipe and it turns out well enough that I would consider making it again. Thankfully, today that was not the case.  This was delicious and pretty simple to put together.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped red and green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded mozza cheese*

Cook pasta.  Meanwhile, in a large pan saute chicken, peppers, garlic and seasonings in oil until chicken is no longer pink.  In food processor puree tomatoes until no big chunks remain.  Add to chicken mixture.  Stir in broth.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Drain pasta.  Toss with chicken mixture.  Spoon half the mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish.  Sprinkle with half mozzarella cheese.  Repeat layers.    Cover and bake at 350  for 20 minutes.  Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through.

Serves four adults.

* I used marble cheese as that's what I had on hand.


No comments: