Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Rice Casserole

I love this rice! Very flavorful and a cinch to whip up.
- 2 cups of rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cooking oil*
- 1/4 cup soya sauce
- 1 pkg onion soup mix
- 2 chicken bouillon cubs or chicken soup brine
- 1 can mushrooms
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced green pepper**
- 1 cup celery ***
- salt****
- pepper

Put all ingredients together and mix. Put in large casserole and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. Stir once and a while.

* I found this to be quite a lot of oil, so I halved the amount
** I didn't have green pepper on hand, so I used red
*** No celery on hand either, but would be an delicious addition
**** I didn't add any extra salt, as the soya sauce, onion soup mix and chicken bouillon add a lot of salt already.
***** Rather large recipe...I halved it for my family of four.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Um, mine looks nothing like that. It's just mush. I'm wondering - what kind of rice did you use? I used minute rice.

Sonya said...

I use Uncle Ben's converted white rice. Pretty sure the minute rice is your culprit. Does it still taste good?!

Tiffany said...

It's good, it's pretty strong though! I can't get the kids to eat it. Steven likes it. If I try it again I'll definitely try different rice!

Sonya said...

Really? It's strong? That's strange...I didn't think so. Did you triple the soya sauce or something? ;)

Tiffany said...

I know, I kind of found that odd myself. Unless it's because I didn't have chicken bullion cubes so I used the epicure chicken soup base, and since I wasn't sure how much to use I kind of threw in a couple of tablespoons. Too much?

Sonya said...

Hmm...I have no idea what the epicure stuff is like, but it should be similar right? I'd guess about 2 level tbsps to be equivilent?