Friday, October 23, 2009

Gallo Pinto

pronounced: Guy-yo pin-toe
- a signature Costa Rican dish... It's quite fantastic!

Ingredients:
3 tbs oil
1 clove garlic (minced)
1/4 cup onion (chopped)
1/4 red pepper (chopped)
1 stalk celery (chopped)
3 tbs Lizano salsa
1/2 bullion cube/packet (chicken flavor)
handful of cilantro (chopped)

Cooked rice (about 3-4 cups)
Cooked black beans (about 3-4 cups)

Directions:
Saute garlic, onion, red pepper, and celery in oil. Add cooked black beans (along with the thick 'juice' that accompanies cooked beans. ie - do not drain). Stir in Lazano Salsa (this may be a problem to find in Canada in regular grocery stores, maybe in the ethnic section??? I heard worcestershire sauce can work as a replacement) and bullion seasoning. Let simmer for a few minutes, but stir often (beans have a tendency to stick to the bottom of the pan). Add rice and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.

Serve with: poached egg, chicken, or sausage.

This dish is most often served at breakfast, but can also be found at the afternoon and/or evening meal.



4 comments:

Sonya said...

I was hoping you would put some authentic Costa Rican recipes on here. :) Looks delicious!

Tiffany said...

Hey Candice - I agree with Sonya, Costa Rican recipes are a great idea! But . . . you sort of lost me with "beans". Got any non-bean recipes? Pretty please? Just for me?!

Candice said...

Ooooh... I'm not sure if there are many dishes around here without beans! I'll keep my eyes open though. Just for you!

Tiffany said...

Excellent!